Sunday, August 29, 2010

Learning New Things...


We were so blessed to be granted the opportunity to learn more ways to learn and to grow with our horses and people this weekend! I would actually call it "Untraining" for me, because so much of what I learned was different for me. Instead of giving instructions, we allowed the children to "figure it out." Wow!!! We had to overcome obstacles and learn from our choices...and this is one very amazing story that came out of that learning....

The sun was high in the sky yesterday afternoon as we went out to "play with the horses." Ryan (9) went with us. He decided to catch the gray arabian in the herd. I told him to catch him and put the halter on. I didn't tell him how, I just said to catch him. He was willing, but quickly got frustrated as the horse ran from him. Tears flowed and he decided to give up and catch another horse. I asked if he was sure he wanted to give up on Lucky (the gray horse)? He said "Yes! He doesn't want me to catch him!" At about that time, I asked him, "Are you sure about that?" All of a sudden, Lucky started running to him from the other side of the field. I said, "I think that horse you decided you didn't want...just chose you." He smiled big. He slowly approached him. He figured out the halter and was able to secure it on Lucky's head. He smiled very proudly.

Ryan proceeded to lead Lucky to the fence and tie him. He groomed him, talked to him, and saddled him. He asked if he could give him a new name for the day. I said, "Yes." So he decided to name him, "Remington." He brushed him and told him how beautiful he was and how much he loved him. He asked me if Remington could always be his horse when he rides. He then proceeded to get on him and ride him. Ryan and "Remington" overcame obstacles on their ride, like going through gates, wooded trails, and new expereiences. They were so proud! Ryan said at the end of his ride, "Remington and I aren't afraid of anything together!"

No comments:

Post a Comment